Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Workout: Day 1

So I've started on another one of my goals! Last night I went to the gym for the first time since I began this little blog, with Allie, who just started a blog as well, one shoe on, one shoe off. Here is a synopsis from her page, in her own words, because I have a feeling that I could not do the premise of her blog any justice:

"This is my intro, I suppose. I'm Allison, I ID as a genderfree lesbian, and if that doesn't make sense to you, feel free to email me about it. I'm a college sophomore, and I'm writing this blog to talk about my progress towards the future.

I plan to talk about a lot of varying things on this blog, so I apologize in advance for the probable nonsensical-ness of my writing. Possible topics include my sense of gender confusion, how my body relates to my brain in terms of what I feel like I should look like, my history of depression and attempted suicide, and how I'm doing now with the fun and exciting cocktail of psychiatric drugs to treat my bipolar-esque mentality."
Allie is a fucking amazing person. I've known her for almost a full two years now, which officially makes her my oldest college friend. She's hilarious and wonderfully straight-forward. She will tell you like it is, which is a hard quality to find in a person, and not one I always appreciate at the time, but one I always cherish in the end. She has the most awesome and interesting insights on a lot of things, especially pertaining to gender and LGBT politics, tobacco knowledge, and juggling skills She just started her blog, too, like I mentioned before, so you should check it out!
So anyway. Allie and I went up to my school's little workout room, on the third floor of the student center, and started stretching. It was just basic stuff, the kind of stretches I used to do back in the day in dance class. Then we did weights, push ups, planks, and crunches. She showed me how to use the urg, otherwise known as the rowing machine to us without crew members for mothers, which was super fun. All in all, we were up there for about 45 minutes to an hour, and I had a blast! It actually didn't seem like that long. When I attempted going to the gym in the fall, I did the treadmill and the bike, and it just felt endless. I guess when I can see a timer the minutes seem to tick by so slowly.

I felt kind of awkward, there in the gym, like everyone was looking at me, etc, but then I realized that everyone looked just as ridiculous as I did and then I just slowly forgot about it as I focused more on my workout and what wisdom Allie was imparting upon me. She's such an awesome workout buddy. "Just two more. Come on! Two more. You can do two more, no problem." "Try it like this, to get your balance." She's so encouraging. It was pretty awesome!

So, my arms are killing me and we're going back tonight! Woo hoo!

No comments:

Post a Comment